Are you interested in starting your own business or relocating your current one to Downtown GC? If so, our organization has many resources to help you along the way. Feel free to browse through our available programs and resources below and please contact our office at email@example.com with any questions you may have!
JumpStart Business Developer
Launched in 2014, the Jump Start program is designed to enhance the community’s entrepreneurial climate in the retail sector of the core business district by identifying locations that specifically meet the needs of individual startup businesses that fall within the categories identified in the City’s Comprehensive Plan.
- Mobile concept, so it not only benefits the startup business, but also helps the building owner fill their empty storefront.
- Jump Start funds will be used to offset rent & utilities for the two years: 50% the first year, 25% the second.
- Potential candidates will submit a viable business plan in order to be considered for the program.
- Business MUST be retail oriented.
- Accepted candidates will be expected to meet periodically with an assigned mentor. The intent of the program is to insure these are sustainable businesses.
- Downtown Vision will remain vigilant throughout the two-year period to provide the necessary guidance and tools to insure the business survives.
Incentives Without Walls
Garden City Downtown Vision, in partnership with the Kansas Department of Commerce, has funds available to businesses located in the core business district for various purposes. These funds are available at 0% to the participating business.
- Applicant must be a member of Downtown Vision in good standing AND located in the designated core business district.
- Must submit a completed application. (available below)
- Applicant will provide a detailed business plan, in addition to the completed application. (Business plan help available here)
- Once the application is submitted, it will go before our Board of Directors for final determination.
- Funds are awarded on a first-come-first-serve basis, as funds are available.
- Please contact the office for eligible uses of the funds.
Downtown Development Fund
The City of Garden City created the Downtown Development Fund to help offset and or fund various expenses associated with the development and revitalization of the Central Business District. The fund can be used to help develop vacant properties and existing buildings located Downtown. Each project must be consistent with the Comprehensive Plan and the Downtown Master Plan.
- The property must be located within the Central Business District to qualify.
- The official boundaries for this district are located in the Garden City Downtown Master Plan.
- The program will reimburse 80% of eligible costs paid and up to 50% of the costs paid for professional fees (design, architecture, legal).
- The following improvements are eligible for the funds:
- Environmental Remediation
- Facade Renovation
- Interior Remodel (including accessibility/code compliance issues
- 2nd Story Residential/Commercial Development
- Efficiency Upgrades
- Demolition Expense Total cost of project must be at least $20,000 to qualify for funding.
- Total cost of project must be at least $20,000 to qualify for funding.
- An application for funding must be filed within ninety (90) days from the date of the issuance of the first building permit.
Downtown Second Story Residential Incentive Program
The Downtown Second Story Incentive Program is intended to promote the revitalization and development of second story residential dwelling units for commercial store fronts in the Central Business District. This program is an economic development strategy that will help meet the housing needs as established in the comprehensive plan of the City of Garden City and improve the economic conditions of the Central Business district.
- The City will provide free utility hook-ups for any developed or renovated residential units within the Central Business District.
- $1,000 per unit incentive for every unit developed or renovated where the private investment meets or exceeds a $10,000 per unit value. The maximum amount one (1) owner may receive in a calendar year is $10,000 (10 units).
For more information please contact the Planning & Community Development Department located at 301 N. 8th Street or call 620-276-1170 during business hours Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- An application for Downtown Second Story Residential Incentive Program must be filed within 60 days of issuance of a building permit
- The improvements must conform to the City of Garden City’s Building Code, Comprehensive Land Use Plan, and Zoning Regulations in effect at the time the improvements are made.
- Any property that is delinquent in any tax payment shall not be eligible for any incentive until such time that all taxes and assessments have been paid
Incentives will be paid within 30 days of final inspection and issuance of Certificate of Occupancy.